Classroom Accommodations for Students with ADHDBy Dr. Mary Rooney, Ph.D.
- Shortened assignments (particularly for assignments that require repetition, like math worksheets).
- Preferential seating in the front of the classroom to reduce distraction.
- Providing choices to show mastery (e.g., in writing, orally, via a hands-on project).
- Allowing frequent breaks.
- Providing clear instructions and checking in with the student to ensure understanding.
- Using a computer to complete essays and other writing assignments.
- Extended time on tests.
- Using a simple, color-coded organization system for papers.
- Providing an extra set of textbooks that can be kept at home.
- Checking the student’s backpack to make sure all necessary materials are packed up at the end of the day and that homework is taken out of the backpack and handed in every morning.
- Weekly desk clean-outs.
- Minimizing the number of items in the desk, backpack and cubby.
- Encouraging frequent movement breaks.
- Praising and rewarding students for raising their hand before talking.
- Allowing students to move or fidget in a non-distracting manner.
- Providing extra opportunities for physical activity and refraining from taking away recess as a punishment.
- Providing a chair for students during circle time (or any time when students sit on the rug).
ABOUT DR. MARY ROONEY
Mary Rooney, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco. Dr Rooney is a researcher and clinician specializing in the evaluation and treatment of ADHD and co-occurring behavioral, anxiety, and mood disorders. A strong advocate for those with attention and behavior problems, Dr. Rooney is committed to developing and providing comprehensive, cutting edge treatments tailored to meet the unique needs of each child and adolescent. Dr. Rooney's clinical interventions and research avenues emphasize working closely with parents and teachers to create supportive, structured home and school environments that enable children and adolescents to reach their full potential. In addition, Dr. Rooney serves as a consultant and ADHD expert to Huntington Learning Centers.
Huntington Learning Center is the tutoring and test prep leader. Its certified tutors provide individualized instruction in reading, phonics, writing, study skills, elementary and middle school math, Algebra through Calculus, Chemistry, and other sciences. It preps for the SAT and ACT, as well as state and standardized exams. Huntington programs develop the skills, confidence, and motivation to help students of all levels succeed and meet the needs of Common Core State Standards. Founded in 1977, Huntington's mission is to give every student the best education possible. Call us today at 1.800.CAN LEARN to discuss how Huntington can help your child. For franchise opportunities please visit www.huntingtonfranchise.com.
This website does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this site is provided for educational purposes only.
- Classroom Management
- Extra Help
- Falling Behind
- Financial Literacy
- In-Person Learning
- Making Friends
- Test Taking
- Time Management